Plantation shutters are one of the most popular window treatments for sliding glass doors. They are elegant, versatile, and durable, and they can enhance the look and feel of any room. But how much do plantation shutters cost for sliding glass doors? And how can you choose the best option for your budget and style?
In this article, we will help you find answers to these questions. We will explain what plantation shutters are and why they are ideal for sliding glass doors. We will also discuss the main factors that affect the price of plantation shutters, such as size, material, style, and installation. Finally, we will give you tips on selecting the right plantation shutters for your sliding glass doors based on your preferences and needs.
What are Plantation Shutters?
Plantation shutters are window coverings that consist of horizontal slats or louvers that can be tilted to adjust the amount of light and air that enters a room. They are usually mounted on a frame that fits inside or outside the window opening, and they can be opened or closed by a rod or a hinge.
Why Are They Popular for Sliding Glass Doors?
Plantation shutters are popular for sliding glass doors because they offer many benefits over other window treatments, such as:
- Energy efficiency: Plantation shutters can help reduce heat loss in winter and heat gain in summer, lowering energy bills and making your home more comfortable.
- Light control: Plantation shutters can allow you to control the amount of natural light that enters your room, creating different moods and atmospheres. You can also block out unwanted glare and UV rays that can damage your furniture and flooring.
- Privacy: Plantation shutters can provide you with privacy without sacrificing natural light. You can adjust the louvers to let in light while keeping prying eyes out. You can also close the shutters completely for total privacy and security.
- Aesthetics: Plantation shutters can add beauty and elegance to your sliding glass doors, enhancing the value and appeal of your home. They come in various colors, finishes, and designs that match any style and theme of your home decor.
Factors that Affect Plantation Shutter Costs for Sliding Glass Doors
The cost of plantation shutters for sliding glass doors depends on several factors, such as:
The size and number of sliding glass doors
The larger and more numerous your sliding glass doors are, the more plantation shutters you will need to cover them. This will increase the amount of material and labor required, affecting the price of your plantation shutters.
The material of the shutters
The material of the shutters is one of the most important factors determining the cost of plantation shutters. Different types of materials are available for plantation shutters, such as wood, faux wood, vinyl, PVC, etc. Each material has advantages and disadvantages regarding durability, maintenance, appearance, and price. Generally speaking, wood is the most expensive material for plantation shutters, followed by faux wood, vinyl, and PVC.
The style and design of the shutters
The style and design of the shutters also influence the cost of plantation shutters. There are various options regarding the louver size, tilt option, frame type, color, finish, etc., of your plantation shutters. The more customized and elaborate your plantation shutters are, the more expensive they will be.
The installation method and labor costs
The installation method and labor costs also affect the price of plantation shutters. There are two main ways to install plantation shutters on sliding glass doors: bi-fold or bypass track system. A bi-fold track system allows you to fold the shutters to one side of the door opening, while a bypass track system allows you to slide the shutters past each other on a track. Both methods have pros and cons regarding convenience, space efficiency, and aesthetics. The installation method you choose will depend on your personal preference and the layout of your room. The labor costs will vary depending on the installation’s complexity and the installer’s skill level. You can also opt to install the plantation shutters yourself if you have the necessary skills and tools, which can save you some money.
To give you an idea of how these factors affect the cost of plantation shutters for sliding glass doors, here are some examples based on data from reputable sources :
- A pair of wood plantation shutters for a standard sliding glass door (72 inches by 80 inches) with a bi-fold track system can cost around $1,200 to $1,800.
- A pair of faux wood plantation shutters for a standard sliding glass door (72 inches by 80 inches) with a bypass track system can cost around $800 to $1,200.
- A pair of vinyl plantation shutters for a standard sliding glass door (72 inches by 80 inches) with a bi-fold track system can cost around $600 to $900.
- A pair of PVC plantation shutters for a standard sliding glass door (72 inches by 80 inches) with a bypass track system can cost around $400 to $600.
These are just rough estimates, and the actual cost of your plantation shutters may vary depending on the specific details of your project. To get a more accurate quote, contact a professional plantation shutter supplier and installer in your area.
How to Choose the Best Plantation Shutters for Your Sliding Glass Doors
Choosing the best plantation shutters for your sliding glass doors is not only a matter of cost but also of personal preference and need. You should consider the following aspects when selecting your plantation shutters:
The function and purpose of your sliding glass doors
What do you use your sliding glass doors for? Do you need easy access to your outdoor space? Do you want to enjoy the natural light and view? Do you need privacy and security? These questions will help you determine the type of plantation shutters that suit your needs. For example, if you need easy access to your outdoor space, you may prefer a bi-fold track system to fold the shutters to one side. If you want to enjoy the natural light and view, you may prefer a large louver size that lets in more light and air. If you need privacy and security, you may prefer a tilt option that allows you to adjust the angle of the louvers.
The style and theme of your home decor
What is the style and theme of your home decor? Do you have a modern, traditional, rustic, coastal, or other style? This will help you choose the color, finish, and design of your plantation shutters to complement your home decor. For example, if you have a modern style, you may prefer a white or gray color with a smooth finish and a simple frame. If you have a traditional style, you may prefer a wood or faux wood material with a stained or painted finish and a decorative frame.
The climate and weather conditions in your area
What are the climate and weather conditions in your area? Do you live in a hot, cold, humid, dry, or other climate? This will help you choose the material and quality of your plantation shutters that will withstand the environmental factors. For example, if you live in a hot and humid climate, you may prefer a vinyl or PVC material resistant to warping, cracking, fading, and peeling. If you live in a cold and dry climate, you may prefer a wood or faux wood material that is warm and cozy.
The maintenance and cleaning requirements of your shutters
How often do you need to clean and maintain your shutters? Do you have the time and resources to do so? This will help you choose the material and design of your plantation shutters that will make your life easier. For example, if you need to clean and maintain your shutters frequently, you may prefer a vinyl or PVC material that is easy to wipe with a damp cloth. If you need to clean and maintain your shutters occasionally, you may prefer a wood or faux wood material that can be dusted with a soft brush.
To give you some inspiration on how different types of plantation shutters can suit different sliding glass doors, here are some examples using images and descriptions from reliable sources :
- [White faux wood plantation shutters] with large louvers (3.5 inches) and a bypass track system for a sliding glass door that leads to a backyard patio. White matches the wall color and creates a bright and spacious feel. The large louvers allow plenty of natural light and air to enter the room. The bypass track system allows easy access to the outdoor space.
- [Wood plantation shutters] with medium louvers (2.5 inches) and a bi-fold track system for a sliding glass door that opens to a balcony. The wood material adds warmth and elegance to the room. The medium louvers provide adequate light control and privacy. The bi-fold track system allows the shutters to fold neatly to one side when not in use.
- [Gray vinyl plantation shutters] with small louvers (1.5 inches) and an inside mount frame for a sliding glass door that faces the street. The gray color contrasts with the white wall and creates a modern, sleek look. The small louvers offer maximum privacy and security. The inside mount frame fits snugly within the window opening and does not interfere with the door operation.
To conclude, plantation shutters are a great option for sliding glass doors because they offer many advantages over other window treatments. They can help you save energy, control light, enhance privacy, and improve aesthetics. However, the cost of plantation shutters for sliding glass doors can vary depending on several factors, such as size, material, style, and installation. Therefore, you should consider your preferences and needs when choosing the best plantation shutters for your sliding glass doors.
If you are looking for a reliable and affordable supplier of plantation shutters wholesale to the trade, you should contact Bright Shutters today. Bright Shutters is California’s leading supplier of plantation shutters, offering high-quality products and services at competitive prices. Whether you need wood, faux wood, vinyl, or PVC plantation shutters, Bright Shutters can provide you with the best option for your sliding glass doors. You can also choose various colors, finishes, and designs to match your home decor.
Bright Shutters offers free quotes and consultations on plantation shutters for sliding glass doors. Contact their friendly and professional staff to discuss your project details and requirements. They will help you find the best solution for your budget and style.